Friday, January 26, 2007

Is any wine worth $700?

Slate has an article by Mike Steinberger that answers this question (at least as far as he's concerned). From the opening:
This is a story about a bottle of wine. A very expensive but also very delicious bottle of wine—a wine that so captivated me when I first tasted it that I immediately resolved to taste it again. What followed was an almost two-year odyssey that tested the limits of my resourcefulness and perhaps also exposed the warping effect that wine has had on my brain.

One of the fun things about being on Garagiste's email list is seeing the really expensive wines come around. Wines that cost $4,000 and more per bottle. Needless to say I haven't bought any of them, but it's always interesting to see the description of the wine and how it's marketed to folks that would consider spending that much...

My own mental upper limit seems to be around $40 for a wine, although I've spent $60+ for some Domaine des Relagnes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Petits Pieds de l'Armand and the Barolo Chinato.

No comments: