Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Indian Recipe: Spinach and mixed vegetable curry

So, I was a little confused when I wrote a few days ago about the new wine blogging event. Of course, only the host gets to decide what the food/recipe is, and everyone else is meant to then make the recipe and suggest wine pairings.
The first event is live here...

But, I'm going to stick to my guns and post an Indian recipe and then post later about the wines we drink on Sunday... Here's a recipe from Ramola Parbhoo's Indian Cookery for South Africa:

Bhaji Nu Sakh : Spinach and mixed vegetable curry
400 g spinach, washed & finely chopped (fresh is better than frozen)
2 large onions, chopped finely
250 ml (1 cup) frozen mixed veggies (I like a mix with some frozen lima or soy beans in it)
4 potatoes, diced (waxy ones work best)
15 ml (1 T) dhunia-jeero (corriander-cumin powder)
2 ml (1/2 t) salt
10 ml (2 t) sugar
5 ml (1 t) green masala (green chili, ginger, oil and salt blended together)
For the Vagaar:
125 ml oil
5 ml (1 t) jeero (cumin seeds)
2 ml (1/2 t) rai (mustard seeds)

Preparation:
In a large dish, mix the chopped spinach, onions, mixed veggies, potatoes, salt, sugar, and spices. Toss well.
Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the cumin and mustard seeds and brown for 10 seconds. Add the vegegtable mixture. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes on low heat or until the vegetables are cooked.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Hi! I somehoe mis-read your initial posting about this, and thought each person would pick food and a wine pairing, instead of the host picking the featured ingredient and recipe.

In hindsight I'm not sure what I was thinking - it wouldn't be much fun if everyone had completely different food, since then you couldn't compare their choices of wine... Ah well.

I may do Combinations I - first I need to see whether fresh mackerel is available here.