Tuesday, June 24, 2008

100 New Classics (a random book list)

By way of wolverine_nun, Entertainment Weekly have a list of 100 "new classic" books. ("The 100 best reads from 1983 to 2008") . I've not read most of them - a few of them have been made into films which I've seen, though... :P

There are a few odd choices ("The DaVinci Code"? - I guess it was popular...) and omissions: Not a single J.M. Coetzee book? (He won the Booker Award in '83 and '99, and the Nobel Prize in Literature in '03). Where is "The Historian"? (No awards, I just love it)

It's interesting to see two "YA" books on the list. I fully agree that Harry Potter and the Dark Materials series should be there (looks like they only liked one Harry Potter book though?)

I'm also really pleased to see "A Prayer for Owen Meany" on the list - this book made a huge impression on me when I read it more than a decade ago.

{W_N} says that Posession by A.S. Byatt is the best book she's read, so I'll have to check that out... For no particular reason (except perhaps to show that I watch movies more than I read), here are the ones I've read (or seen in movie form):


  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling (2000)

  • Beloved, Toni Morrison (1987)

  • Mystic River, Dennis Lehane (2001)

  • Maus, Art Spiegelman (1986/1991)

  • Watchmen, Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (1986-87)

  • A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, Dave Eggers (2000)

  • Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel García Márquez (1988)

  • Bridget Jones's Diary, Helen Fielding (1998)

  • Lonesome Dove, Larry McMurtry (1985)

  • Neuromancer, William Gibson (1984)

  • Persepolis, Marjane Satrapi (2003)

  • His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman (1995-2000)

  • The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Mark Haddon (2003)

  • A Prayer for Owen Meany, John Irving (1989)

  • The Remains of the Day, Kazuo Ishiguro (1989)

  • The Tipping Point, Malcolm Gladwell (2000)

  • Holes, Louis Sachar (1998)

  • High Fidelity, Nick Hornby (1995)

  • America (the Book), Jon Stewart/Daily Show (2004)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooo I have to check out the list. Interesting that they chose such a recent period from which to draw.

-A