Monday, October 20, 2008

Kabocha squash time!

Fall means it's time for winter squash - great in soups, baked as a side dish, or of course in the form of pumpkin pie. One of my favourites is the Japanese kabocha squash, and our local farmer's market has had some recently.

I experimented last weekend with a new soup recipe - a Thai-style coconut milk soup made with baked squash. The recipe I used as a starting point is here, but this one from Annie Sommerville's website is very similar and has the added benefit of giving you a nice recipe for making your own veggie stock.

I had to make a few changes to the recipes, but I think it turned out really well, so I'll jot them down here as a reminder to myself and in case other people want to try:
  • I didn't have any lemongrass or kaffir lime, so I used the zest of a lime near the end of the recipe (when I added the coconut milk).
  • I used light coconut milk :)
  • I used about a teaspoon of Thai green curry paste - this gave the soup a nice kick which complemented the natural sweetness...
  • I didn't add any sugar (which the one recipe calls for)
  • I blended the soup in the pot using a "magic wand" (immersion blender). If you don't have one of these and like making soups or sauces, I really recommend getting one! Bamix are the Rolls-Royce models, but a cheaper Cuisinart or Braun model will work fine unless you use it a LOT.


Amazon links: Bamix Mono Hand Blender, Cuisinart SmartStick Hand Blender

1 comment:

Carrie said...

That sounds delicious! I am not a big coconut milk fan unless it's in soup, and it does seem like it would add a lot to this particular soup's taste and texture.